10/01/2007

Empowering the powerless

Digital cameras, iPods, and cellphones are all cool examples of embedded technology. Unfortunately, these devices offer little value to the 2,000,000,000 people who still live without electrical power.

Don't get me wrong, I love my tech toys. But I also love it when engineers devise elegant solutions for people with real problems — like poverty, hunger, and disease.

CNET recently published a photo essay on several devices, all of them designed to help people in poor or undeveloped regions. My favorites: an LED light that replaces dangerous kerosene lamps, a hearing aid with a solar charger, and a “LifeStraw” that lets people drink safely from polluted water.

One reason I’ve always enjoyed working for QNX is that developers use our technology for really cool things, like the Chrysler MyGiG system, and for deeply important things, like treating cancer.

What about you? Have you ever used QNX in something that makes the world a little safer? A little healthier? I’d like to hear about it.

No comments: